If you’ve discovered mold somewhere in your home, you’ll likely feel simultaneously disgusted and motivated to remove it as soon as possible.

You’ve likely heard the old rumor that bleach is a useful mold-removal solution that saves you the trouble of hiring professionals, but you should not rush to conclusions before considering the facts. It would help if you also took into account more reasonable, effective alternatives.

To kill mold and return your building to a safe, secure environment, consider some of the following tips before taking on the project.

Reasons to Avoid Bleach When Cleaning Mold

Up until recently, government agencies like the Environmental Protection Agency recommended chlorine-based bleach as the primary in-house method for mold remediation, but more information has surfaced that goes against that long-held notion that your ancestors have passed on for decades.

So, why doesn’t bleach work? Because it only kills mold on the surface while leaving the underlying membrane intact. It fails to eliminate the base layer because its chemical structure can’t penetrate porous surfaces, which is where many molds grow. When your cleaner interacts with the surface mold, the membrane can push deeper into the surface’s pores where the bleach will be unable to follow.

Notable porous surfaces include carpeting, ceiling panels, particle board and drywall. Semi-porous surfaces can also suffer from mold growth, albeit at a much slower rate. These areas include wood, brick and concrete.

It is very important to remember that you will also need to address the cause of mold: excessive moisture. If you can’t drop moisture levels below a certain threshold, the mold’s roots will remain, and it will eventually resurface. Seeing as how bleach can’t help you to rectify that problem, it’s only a temporary fix.

In addition to that, bleach also emits harmful fumes into the air that can adversely affect the health of people and pets. If you use too much, short-term symptoms can include coughing fits and a burning sensation in your eyes. Long-term, continued use can breed toxins that researchers have linked to certain cancers.

Truthfully, bleach can still be useful as part of a comprehensive process, but it’s hardly the jack-of-all-trades fix that people hail it as. It’s most effective with non-porous surfaces, like metal, plastic and glass.

What Can You Use Instead?

Just because a long-held belief is now defunct doesn’t mean that it’s hopeless. Depending on the degree of your mold infestation, other solutions include vinegar, Borax, hydrogen peroxide, ammonia and BioCide, an EPA-certified mold remover.

Regarding home solutions, vinegar might be the most cost-efficient of all those options. It’s useful for killing small amounts of mold, as it can take on about 80 percent of common mold species. That said, your primary goal should be to thoroughly clean and dry the affected area to stymy any future growth.

If you’re not positive about what may or may not work, you can save you time, money and effort by contacting certified mold-removal experts.

Enroll Haven Property Solutions to Eliminate Your Lingering Mold

Cleaning mold with bleach might not be entirely practical, but calling on Haven Property Solutions is. As one of the leading providers of environmental abatement services in the Hudson Valley, we’ll help to tackle your issues as best we can. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation!